Non Boring Reading for and by Beaut Blokes
By Hazel Edwards
How can you get boys to read? Find a Beaut Bloke who can act as a reading role model.
- 'Beaut Bloke' covers any father, uncle, big brother, stepdad, footballer, hero or grandfather who reads in public
- Any kind of reading? Yes. Print Screen, Audio, Picture Books, Magazines Newspaper, Sports Reports
- Vital that it's the kind of reading the 'Beaut Bloke' enjoys too
- Do it every day/night
- Share a serial, read around a family
- Use funny voices for dialogue
- Recommend books
- Read in dual languages (picture books or graphics help here)
- Experiment with 'adventurous' non-fiction e.g. 'Cycling Solo; Ireland to Istanbul' or 'Trail Magic: Going Walkabout for 2184 Miles on the Appalachian Trail'
- Try novels with adventurous settings e.g. 'Outback Ferals' where eco-warrior hero is active but stands up for ideas
- Introduce a few myths & legends with heroes who faced challenges too
- Link to writing & reading your own stories about family e.g. What did Grandad do when he was your age?
Any significant males who read, provide a good role model for boys
About Hazel Edwards
Hazel Edwards OAM is a National Reading Ambassador and author of 'There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating cake'.
More Information & Online Store